Managing and Thriving with ADHD

how to thrive with ADHD, advice from The Life Change Group

How to Thrive with ADHD


According to Forbes Magazine, nearly 9 million adults in the U.S. have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

  • Nearly 60% of U.S. children with ADHD also have at least one other mental, emotional or behavioral condition—such as anxiety or depression
  • The average age for an ADHD diagnosis is 7 years old, and it is more commonly diagnosed in boys than girls
  • ADHD is more commonly diagnosed in Black, non-Hispanic children (12%) than white children (10%), Hispanic children (8%) and non-Hispanic children (3%)
  • An estimated 77% of U.S. children diagnosed with ADHD receive treatment, while the remaining 23% receive no treatment
  • An estimated 35% to 78% of children diagnosed with ADHD maintain symptoms as an adult

Living with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder at any age poses many unique challenges, but with the right blend of strategies and habits, people can not only manage their symptoms but also thrive in all aspects of life. Effective management begins with understanding the condition. For more details, read our ADHD overview.

Adopting tailored strategies such as structured routines, time management techniques, and organizational tools can significantly enhance daily functioning. In this article, we'll explore 8 key strategies for managing symptoms and uncovering the path to success.

Coping and Thriving:

  • Coping mechanisms are essential for individuals with ADHD. Implementing stress-reducing activities, mindfulness practices, and seeking support from friends, family, or support groups can contribute to a more balanced lifestyle. 
  • Thriving involves embracing one's strengths and focusing on personal growth. Positive affirmations, setting realistic goals, and celebrating achievements, no matter how small, can foster a sense of accomplishment and well-being.

Symptom Relief:

  • Explore various methods for symptom relief, including medication, therapy, and lifestyle adjustments. A holistic approach can provide a more comprehensive solution for managing symptoms.

Self-Help Tips :

  • Empowerment comes from within. Discover self-help tips tailored to your specific needs, incorporating techniques like visualization, goal setting, and creating a supportive environment.
  • Lifestyle adjustments play a crucial role in ADHD management. This includes regular exercise, a balanced diet, and sufficient sleep. These changes can positively impact focus, attention, and overall well-being.


  • Enhance productivity by identifying peak times of focus, breaking tasks into manageable steps, and utilizing tools such as planners or productivity apps. Small adjustments can lead to significant improvements.
  • Explore different focus techniques, including the Pomodoro technique, mindful breathing, and sensory grounding exercises. Experiment with these methods to discover what works best for your unique needs.
  • Consider holistic approaches to treatment, incorporating alternative therapies such as yoga, meditation, or neurofeedback. These complementary methods can complement traditional approaches for a more comprehensive treatment plan.

Final Thoughts

Managing ADHD symptoms and thriving is a journey that requires self-awareness, tailored strategies, and a supportive community. By adopting a holistic approach that encompasses lifestyle adjustments, coping mechanisms, and a positive mindset, individuals can unlock their full potential and lead fulfilling lives. Remember, success with ADHD is not just about managing symptoms but also about embracing individual strengths and celebrating the journey toward personal growth and achievement.