How Couples Therapy Works
In Couples Therapy at The Life Change Group we learn how to reignite the flame in your most important relationship by focusing on relationship counseling. At the beginning of just about every marriage, couples vow to live a long life together filled with hope, love and commitment. Two people join together for richer or poorer. Then life happens. We understand this, and can help find ways to reconnect and strengthen or repair broken relationships, all within a safe space, without judgment.
Maintaining an intentional and rewarding relationship – any type of relationship – is tough. It takes work. Couples therapy and marriage counseling are chances to explore the reasons why parts of the relationship are working, why they aren’t and what both parties can do to make it better. With the boom in online dating, ever-present social media and instant messaging, there’s no surprise this is one of the most popular services here at The Life Change Group. Some couples are the just the right match and the marriage flourishes. Others turn to their family, friends or faith and can work through the tough times together. Others have more difficulties at rekindling that initial euphoria, and some decide to go their separate ways. Whatever your circumstance, Dr. Wright and her team can help to honestly and objectively assess your marriage situation and counsel you and your spouse to arrive at the healthiest decision for everyone involved.
Our therapist’s marriage counseling philosophy is largely based upon the IMAGO method which shows couples how to reconnect by using a new way of talking together, called the Imago dialogue. It’s a way of listening and speaking which helps couples learn more about each other. “In my more than 15 years of counseling in Peachtree City and across Atlanta, the #1 factor in healing an ailing marriage is to improve communication between the partners. If you can’t talk AND listen, the marriage is doomed. With IMAGO methods, we can work together to find common ground, overcome disputes and set the healthiest course for each couple and their families.”
Give our office a call or email with questions to schedule an initial session with one of our counselors, therapists or licensed psychologists today. We would glad to discuss your specific situation and work together on finding a healthy solution.
Couples counseling, also known as couples therapy or relationship counseling, offers a supportive and transformative space for couples to navigate challenges, enhance communication, and strengthen their bond. Through various counseling techniques and exercises, The Life Change Group therapists and licensed psychologists help couples develop effective strategies, resolve conflicts, and foster healthier, more fulfilling relationships. This article explores the essence of couples counseling, the process involved, and the benefits it brings to couples seeking to improve their connection.
The Couples Counseling Process
Our Couples Therapy typically involves several steps, and most commonly will include:
- Initial Assessment: Couples therapy typically begins with an initial assessment, where the therapist gathers information about the couple’s history, relationship dynamics, and current concerns. This helps the therapist gain insight into the couple’s unique needs and tailor the counseling process accordingly.
- Goal Setting: Couples work collaboratively with the therapist to identify their goals for counseling. These goals may include improving communication, resolving conflicts, enhancing intimacy, rebuilding trust, or strengthening the overall relationship.
- Counseling Techniques:
a. Communication Enhancement: Couples counseling focuses on improving communication skills, such as active listening, expressing emotions effectively, and practicing empathy. Therapists help couples learn new communication techniques that promote understanding and reduce misunderstandings.
b. Conflict Resolution: Couples therapy equips couples with techniques to address conflicts and disagreements in a healthy and constructive manner. Therapists help couples identify underlying issues, develop problem-solving skills, and foster compromise and negotiation.
c. Intimacy Building: Couples counseling addresses intimacy-related concerns by exploring emotional and physical intimacy within the relationship. Therapists guide couples in understanding each other’s needs and desires, fostering trust, and promoting emotional and physical connection.
d. Trust-Building Strategies: For couples grappling with trust issues, therapists employ specific techniques to rebuild trust and establish a foundation of security and openness within the relationship. These strategies may involve building transparency, practicing forgiveness, and setting boundaries.
e. Relationship Strengthening Exercises: Couples therapists often assign exercises or activities for couples to complete outside of therapy sessions. These exercises can include practicing effective communication, engaging in quality time together, or engaging in activities that foster shared interests and connection.
Historically our couples have seen several benefits from our brand of couples therapy and marriage counseling, including:
- Improved Communication: Couples counseling facilitates open and effective communication between partners, leading to better understanding and reduced conflicts.
- Conflict Resolution Skills: Couples learn techniques to address conflicts constructively, fostering a healthier and more harmonious relationship.
- Enhanced Intimacy: Couples therapy helps couples deepen their emotional and physical intimacy, creating a stronger bond and a more fulfilling relationship.
- Rebuilding Trust: Couples counseling provides a space for rebuilding trust after breaches or betrayals, promoting healing and strengthening the foundation of the relationship.
- Relationship Satisfaction: Through counseling, couples gain insights, tools, and strategies that contribute to overall relationship satisfaction and happiness.
Couples counseling, also known as couples therapy or relationship counseling, provides couples with a valuable opportunity to address challenges, enhance communication, and strengthen their bond. By employing a variety of counseling techniques and exercises, couples therapists guide couples in developing effective strategies for conflict resolution, rebuilding trust, and fostering intimacy. Whether couples seek assistance for specific concerns or aim to improve their overall relationship, couples counseling can pave the way for a healthier, more fulfilling connection that withstands the tests of time.