ADHD and ADD
At The Life Change Group, our team of licensed psychologists and professional counselors can use APA-recognized assessments like the Behavior Assessment System for Children (BASC) to determine if your child presents any form of ADHD. According to WebMD, ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affects nearly 3 million people in the U.S. It’s the world’s most commonly diagnosed mental disorder of children, but it can continue even into adulthood. Parents of children with ADHD usually cite these three tell-tale signs: Inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity.
It’s not uncommon for individuals to face challenges related to attention and focus. Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are two conditions that many people grapple with, impacting various aspects of their lives. With regular behavior therapy and counseling we have found that many students can learn to thrive and channel their passion and energy in very productive ways.
Defining ADD and ADHD
ADD and ADHD are complex neurodevelopmental disorders that impact individuals across various age groups. Here’s a definition of both ADD and ADHD, as well as potential treatments.
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD): ADD is characterized by persistent patterns of inattention, distractibility, and difficulty maintaining focus. While the term “ADD” is somewhat outdated in clinical settings, it is commonly used to describe the predominantly inattentive presentation of ADHD.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): ADHD encompasses two primary subtypes – predominantly inattentive and combined hyperactive-impulsive. Individuals with ADHD may display symptoms of hyperactivity, impulsivity, and challenges in sustaining attention.
Our Treatment Approaches
At The Life Change Group, our psychologists and counselors employ a holistic and individualized approach to treat ADD and ADHD, recognizing the unique needs of each client. Let’s explore the key strategies that contribute to effective management:
- Comprehensive Assessment: A thorough evaluation is the foundation of our treatment process, allowing psychologists to identify specific challenges, strengths, and coexisting conditions. This assessment helps tailor interventions to meet individual needs.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT is a cornerstone in treating ADD and ADHD, addressing negative thought patterns and providing practical strategies to enhance executive functioning skills.
- Behavioral Interventions: Behavioral interventions focus on modifying and reinforcing positive behaviors. Our counselors collaborate with clients to develop coping mechanisms, organizational skills, and effective time management strategies.
- Psychoeducation for Individuals and Families: Educating individuals and their families about the nature of ADD and ADHD is integral. This empowers clients to understand their condition and enables families to provide essential support.
- Executive Functioning Coaching: Executive functioning coaching is tailored to enhance skills like organization, planning, and time management, addressing specific challenges associated with ADD and ADHD.
- Individual and Group Therapy: Our psychologists offer individual and group therapy sessions to provide a supportive environment for clients to share experiences, learn from others, and develop effective coping strategies.
- School-Based Support: For children and adolescents, our counselors collaborate with educators to implement school-based interventions, ensuring tailored support within educational settings.
- Parental Training and Involvement: Recognizing the crucial role of parents, our psychologists provide training and guidance, empowering parents to effectively support their children with ADD or ADHD.
- Holistic Approach: Our treatment philosophy at The Life Change Group emphasizes a holistic approach, considering the emotional, social, and environmental factors that may impact individuals with ADD and ADHD.
In our fast-paced world, the impact of ADD and ADHD extends beyond individual lives, affecting families, schools, and workplaces. By understanding these disorders and the effective treatment approaches employed by psychologists, individuals can take proactive steps toward managing and overcoming challenges. The Life Change Group is committed to providing comprehensive and personalized care for those navigating the complexities of ADD and ADHD.